Go to Home Page Contact Us
TRAVELER INFO ATM Locator
Bus Info
Facts & Stats
History
Lodging
Town Tour
Gas Prices
WIFI Hotspots
Road Conditions
Weather Forecast
ENTERTAINMENT Community Calendar
Recreation
COMMUNITY Bulletin Board
Business Directory
Jobs Board
LIFESTYLE Chronicles
FUN STUFF Send an E-Card
Sound Quiz
Then & Now
MARIPOSA COUNTY'S PLACE IN CALIFORNIA HISTORY
(Part Two)
by Leroy Radanovich
(This article first appeared in the December 3, 1998 issue of the Mariposa Gazette and is the conclusion to a previous article.  It is reprinted here with the author's permission.)

In the year of 1851, a militia was formed in Mariposa County for the express purpose of elimination of the Native Americans who found themselves in conflict with the miners.  The issue was simply the supply of natural food.  The miners had arrived with little civilized supplies, save the pick, shovel, tent, and frying pan.  All else had been left along the route of march.  They did, however, prize their weapons, for they represented protection and the opportunity to revert to the pioneer American method of survival: living off the land.  The available forage was more in balance with the needs of the natives. The miners soon depleted the available game and were unwilling to eat much of what the natives sustained themselves on.  There are, however, tales of men hanging on to their claims on a sustenance of insects and birds, when available.  To give up a claim which promised instant wealth seemed untenable.

To protect their survival, the Indians learned that the horse and mule were viable substitutes for the missing game.  Problem was, they were the valuable property of the miners.  There were raids and depredations on both sides.  A volunteer committee was formed in Mariposa to stop the raids by the natives.  The burning of a store by James Savage and the killing of his workers, caused Sheriff James Burney and Savage to organize the force and carry out raids.  Concerned about the possibility of a massacre, U.S. Indian Agent Adam Johnson petitioned the state for help.  Governor John McDougal sympathetically authorized the formation of a 200 man militia to protect the Mariposa frontier.  At the command of the Militia, named the Mariposa Battalion, was Colonel James D. Savage, who divided the group into three companies.  Company "A" was commanded by Captain William Dill.  Because of the threat of open war between the Americans and the Indians, a Federal Commission took charge of the operation attempting to implement a policy of moderation. Their goal was the removal of the natives to sites where they could no longer be a threat. 

On March 24, 1851 the company, under the command of Savage, entered Yosemite Valley for the first time in pursuit of Chief Tenaya and his band.  While they may not have been the first white men to see Yosemite Valley, they were the first to penetrate the beautiful presence and explore its extent.  As a result of this event, Yosemite Valley became known to the outside world.  Within a few years the valley had become an attraction previously known for its beauty and value.  It attracted artists, writers, adventurers and lovers of nature from throughout the world.

It may be said that the environmentalist movement had its start as a result of the presence of Yosemite.  John Muir came first to Yosemite Valley in 1869 and eventually lead the fight to have Yosemite become a National Park.  The Gold Rush was directly responsible for the discovery of Yosemite, at least at that time, but more importantly, the early development of California was the result of this inrush of an international habitation.  The greed caused by the thought of untold riches to a world population tired of economic recession, drove men and women to seek solutions to their personal fortunes.  The reality of the matter was that out of the $400 million of gold taken from California mountains and streams, little found its way into the pockets of the ordinary miner.  The solution was to prove difficult.

Mariposa County developed differently than the other counties of the Mother Lode.  Due to the long legal entanglements of John C. Fremont and the lack of easy access to abundant water mining in Mariposa County soon evolved into industrial pursuits.  While the placer period lasted for a few years, hard-rock quartz mining conducted underground quickly became the order of the day.  This meant that men no longer held individual claims but worked for the "company," often living in company housing, and buying in the company store.  They relied on the availability of company capital and resolved to have successful employment.  Towns sprang up which were more orderly than their neighbors outside of the Fremont Grant.  Mariposa, Princeton (Mt. Bullion) and Bear Valley were laid out on properly surveyed grids with the developers bringing all manner of activities needed for human need.  They also brought debt to the company store and boarding houses. When legal difficulties arose, the miners and their families were left to their own devices with the mines closing.

As the 1850's closed a good part of the original Mariposa County had been divided into new jurisdictions.  People were coming to the foothills more for its grazing and farming land than the gold in the mines.  Employment was offered on a seasonal basis by ranchers and some held mining claims on major streams which were to be worked sporadically.  Many of the pioneer families who still live in Mariposa County were established.  The 49'ers had long since left, either in pine boxes, with empty pockets, or as deck hands on ships for the east.  Although many migrants during the early rush to the mines came overland, there is no record of any returning east retracing their steps.  The steam ship to Panama was the favorite route with the crossing to the Atlantic side now more secure and easy.

The Mother of California Counties now settled into years of livestock raising, farming, tourism and small family businesses and the occasional opening and closing of the mining properties.  Yes, there were some fortunes made in the mines of Mariposa County and most, with the exception of John Hite, never found public examination.  Most were stock ventures which resulted in loss of one's investment.  A series of owners of the Fremont Grant experienced losses to the point of bankruptcy.  The last company, The Mariposa Commercial Mining Company, an English company, found more viability in leasing land and claims to individuals than to investing on their own.  The last company that owned and operated a mine closed almost 100 years ago, and no records as to its economic viability can be found.  The greater beneficiaries of the gold rush were the merchants and industrialists who followed and who built the great commercial empires on the sweat of the ordinary miner and farmer.

Mariposa County's contribution to the history of the State of California lies more in the presence within its boundaries of Yosemite National Park.  Its discovery, development and history are intimately tied to the development of the County and the Las Mariposas Grant of John C. Fremont.  While Fremont knew little of the presence of the beautiful Yosemite, his wife, Jessie, certainly did.  She knew Galen Clark, discoverer of the Mariposa Grove of Big Trees and Guardian of Yosemite in later years.  With Clark, Senator Coness of California and the photographs of pioneer photographer, Carlton Watkins, president Lincoln and Congress, at the height of the Civil War, were convened to grant Yosemite Valley and the Mariposa Grove to the State of California for the purpose of the creation of a park.  This act alone saved these mountain features for future generations.  By 1913, all the properties were in the hands of the federal government and became the complete Yosemite National park.

Mariposa County was recognized for its importance as the southern extreme of the Mother Lode when the California State Mining and Mineral Museum was established here in the 1980's.  For more than 20 years, historic routes have been followed by wagon and horse during the spring ride from Eastern Mariposa County, over Chowchilla Mountain, and on to Mariposa, the County seat.  Located in Mariposa town is the Mariposa Museum and History Center with its celebrated display area showing artifacts of life in Mariposa County from its beginning.  The library and collection contains many research works accessed by writers and students of history from all over the world.  In Coulterville, is the Northern Mariposa County History Center, displaying many items from the historical past of that part of the county.

Mariposa County is becoming recognized more for its unique and variable history, as a source of more established life during and after the gold rush.  Established communities and their histories give a broader insight than is frequently found. 


For more Mariposa History try Malakoff's goldrush history


 
design image - left page cornerdesign image - page bottomdesign image - right page corner
Direct questions or comments to the Webmaster
Copyright ©  VisitMariposa.net.  All Rights Reserved.
Site design and CGI programming provided by Mountain Arts Design